After Taliban’s takeover in Kabul 15. August 2021, thousands of journalists have lost their jobs, and many have left the country. Together with considerable economic problems, censorship, abuse and restrictions lead to scores of media being closed down.
The report is based on analysis of media content from six Afghan outlets, as well as interviews with prominent media leaders, and journalists still working inside Afghanistan. It is to our knowledge the most comprehensive report on this issue so far.
The event will be addressed by:
- H.E. Youssof Ghafoorzai, Afghanistan’s Ambassador to Norway
- Oddgeir Osland, Dean at the Faculty of Social Sciences, OsloMet
- Knut Olav Åmås, Director, Free Expression Foundation
The report will be presented by:
- Elisabeth Eide (Professor Emerita, project leader)
- Hasina Shirzad (MA student, OsloMet)
- Zahir Athari (researcher, UiO)
Team members Mahmud Farjami, postdoc fellow at OsloMet and Abdul Mujeeb Khalvatgar, Director of Nai-SOMA, a media watchdog in Afghanistan, could not be present at the occasion.
The presentation is followed by comments from:
- Mr. Sharif Hassanyar, previous Director of Ariana TV network in Afghanistan
- Kristian Berg Harpviken, PRIO.
Then: responses from the authors and questions from the audience.
The event will be streamed
The event will be streamed for those who cannot attend physically. A link to the stream will be made available soon.
Photos for the event page are provided by Afshin Ismaeli.