We are happy to invite you to a presentation of the Norwegian-Colombian research project “SEGURA”, funded by the Research Council of Norway, at OsloMet May 10 2023.
“There is no peace without food security, and there is no food security without peace”. These were the words of former president of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos, during a seminar at the Noble Prize Peace center in 2021. His words have become even more critical the last year: that conflict is the major obstacle to food security and that peace is a precondition for economic and social progress.
How has conflict affected food security in Colombia after the 2016 peace agreement? The new Colombian government has flagged food security as an important path for economic growth.
The aim of our seminar is to present new research on the interconnection between conflict and food security in Colombia from collaboration between OsloMet and academic institutions in Colombia, the SEGURA-project (uni.oslomet.no). Food security has become a prioritized policy issue for new Colombian government. How can food security be developed as a policy issue between Norway and Colombia?
This is an open event which is suitable for anyone who are interested in the subjects of food security, conflict, and/or development in Latin-America, such as researchers and other professionals, food security experts, governmental representatives, policy makers, NGOs, students, and others.
Please feel free to share our Facebook-event with your network (facebook.com).
Second day of two-day event
This will be the second day of a two-day event. Day 1 of the seminar at the 9th of May will be an academic event suitable for researchers and other professionals, and students from relevant disciplines. You can find more information about day 1 here.
- 09:00 Welcome by Christen Krogh (Rector of OsloMet)
- Opening by Stig Traavik (Director of Clomate, Energy & Environment, NORAD)
- Installation by Paola Bernal Rodríguez (Ambassador of Colombia)
- 09:30 Presentation of the SEGURA-project by Arne Dulsrud (Coordinator SEGURA-project, SIFO/OsloMet)
- 09:40: The impact of the FARC ceasefire on household food security: A subnational analysis by Fenella Carpena (OsloMet) and Nury Bejarano (Econometría, Bogotá)
- 10:00 Food security and vegetable-garden or “tul”? by Alba Marina Torres Gonzales (Universidad del Valle, Cali)
- 10:20 TBA
- 10:30 Questions
10:40 Coffee break
- 11:00 Tough dilemmas: Exploring the interrelationships between food security and marijuana crops in Jambaló, Cauca by Guisela Camacho (PhD student, Centre for Development and the Environment (SUM), University of Oslo)
- 11:20: Food security versus food sovereignty and autonomy. Complementary or contradictory concepts? By Sabina Kuraj and Arne Dulsrud (SIFO/OsloMet)
- 11:40: Food production: the best (only) development option for Colombia? by Arturo Garcia (Econometria, Bogotá)
- 12:00 Ministry of Foreign Affairs, TBA
12:10 Panel discussion Chaired by Mariel Støen (professor, University of Oslo)
- Knut Andreas Lid (Caritas)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, TBA
- Gilma Olaya Vega (Pontificia Universidad Javeriana)
- Caroline Aarsæther (Colombia Forum)
- Diego Marin (Attac)
12:45 End of day 2