OsloMet – Oslo Metropolitan University is Norway’s third largest university, with nearly 22,000 students and 2,200 employees. Through the students we educate and the research we produce, the university has a direct impact on society, both in Norway and beyond. The university has two campuses, one in central Oslo and another a short distance from the city in the municipality of Lillestrøm. OsloMet is home to some of Norway’s largest and oldest educational programmes, including degree programmes in nursing, engineering and teacher education. The university is also a hub of research and technological innovation aimed at strengthening and sustaining the Norwegian welfare state.
The Faculty of Technology, Art and Design (TKD) offers higher education and research and development (R&D) activities within technical subjects, arts and design. The Faculty has approximately 4.000 students and 400 staff members and is situated at Pilestredet Campus in downtown Oslo and at Kjeller Campus in Viken.
The Department of Mechanical, Electronic and Chemical Engineering (MEK) is one of the five departments at Faculty of Technology, Art and Design (TKD). The department offers bachelor's degree programmes in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and chemical engineering and a master's degree programme in electronics (with two sub-activities: biomedical engineering, and control and robotics), in addition to research and development activities. A master’s program in Mechanical Engineering is under development and is planned to start in August 2024. The department has approximately 35 staff members, 10 PhD candidates, and 800 students.MEK is seeking to recruit a Assistant Professor in Biomedical Engineering. This position will involve teaching and supervising students in areas of Bio-Mechatronics, Neurological and Biomechanical rehabilitation, and Assistive devices. There will also be an opportunity to conduct research in line with the faculty's R&D strategy. The students of the future must have a high level of professional competence and the ability to work interdisciplinary in an international environment. Students must acquire and develop solid theoretical knowledge and practical skills in addition to social skills. We are therefore looking for a candidate with a passion for teaching and supervision, and a positive attitude towards students in development. For the right candidate, it is possible to become part of the ADEPT research group and thereby contribute to interdisciplinary cutting-edge research and applications for international funding in collaboration with colleagues at the Department.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Planning, developing, and delivering courses at bachelor and master level
- Actively contributing to the development of high-quality education at MEK and OsloMet as a whole
- Contribute to research in line with the faculty's R&D strategy
- Performing administrative tasks related to educational, research, and innovation activities.
- Supervision of students at Bachelor's level
- MSc in Bio-medical, Electrical or Mechanical engineering, or related areas of Robotics and Mechatronics. The degree must be equivalent to 120 credits
- Practical experience with design and implementation of electronic devices, mechatronic systems, bio-mechanical devices and bio-robotics, and programming embedded microcontrollers
- Experiences with measurements and processing of biosignals, design and control of exoskeletal and prosthetic devices
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English
Applicants who do not have adequate proficiency in a Scandinavian language upon appointment must acquire Norwegian skills corresponding to at least level B2 within three years of appointment. OsloMet offers free Norwegian language classes to staff.Candidates with no relevant pedagogy qualifications at the time of appointment must commit themselves to complete OsloMet's programme for basic pedagogical competence (15 ECTS credits) within two years. The university will test pedagogical skills in connection with a personal interview.General criteria for appointments to academic positions are covered by the Regulations for appointment and promotion to academic posts.
The following will be considered an advantage
- Experience in supervision of bachelor’s students in higher education
- Experience with analysis of large data sets involving human motion
- Experience with close collaboration with relevant industry
Personal qualities necessary for the position
- A keenness to develop academic and teaching skills, and an interest in digital and innovative educational techniques and practices
- Curious research mind and ambition to contribute to the area of Bio-Medical Engineering and bio-mechatronics
- The ability to motivate and inspire students and colleagues
- Excellent cooperation and communication skills
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt teaching and research to the students and needs of the department and OsloMet, including interdisciplinary collaboration
All qualified candidates are welcome to apply. We make active endeavours to further develop OsloMet as an inclusive workplace and to adapt it if required. If there are periods where you have not been at work, under education or in training, you are still welcome to apply.
You must upload the following documents with the application within the application deadline:
- Application letter
- CV, reference letters and all pages of certificates/diplomas
- 2 references with contact information
We only process applications sent via our electronic recruitment system and all documents must be uploaded for your application to be processed. The documents must be in English or a Scandinavian language. Translations must be authorised. Originals and ID must be presented if you are invited for an interview. OsloMet performs document checks to give you as a candidate a proper evaluation and ensure fair competition. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- An exciting job opportunity at Norway's third largest university
- Opportunity to be a part of a dynamic professional environment and unique academic network
- Beneficial pension arrangements with the Norwegian State Pension Fund
- Good employee welfare arrangements
- Free Norwegian language classes to employees
- Relocation support, cultural courses and on boarding services
- Working location in downtown Oslo
For more information about the position, feel free to contact:
- Head of Department Astrid Oust Janbu, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +47 91 51 43 26.
The position is remunerated in accordance with the Norwegian State salary scale 60-74, job code 1009 Assistant Professor. The salary is NOK 468 300 – 604 700 per year. A higher salary may be considered for particularly well-qualified applicants.As an employee at OsloMet, you must always adhere to the changes that the development in the subject requires and the organizational changes that are adopted.The selected candidate, after approving the position, must live in a location enabling them to be physically present at and available to the Department.If you wish to apply for the position, please apply electronically by clicking the button “apply for the position”.
Application deadline: 26.02.23Reference number: 22/08946
OsloMet is a Charter & Code certified institution by the EU Commisson holding the right to use the logo HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R). OsloMet is a member of the EURAXESS network supporting a positive work environment for researchers in motion. OsloMet has signed The Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA). DORA recognizes the need to improve the ways in which the outputs of scholarly research are evaluated.