OsloMet – Oslo Metropolitan University is Norway’s third largest university, with more than 20,000 students and 2,000 employees. OsloMet delivers knowledge to solve societal challenges, in close cooperation with the society and employers. OsloMet is an urban and diverse university with a clear international profile, and an attractive place to work and study with campuses in Oslo city centre and at Kjeller in the Municipality of Lillestrøm. Our location in the metropolitan area gives us good opportunities to understand and benefit from the city’s diverse population.
The Faculty of Technology, Art and Design (TKD) offers higher education and research and development (R&D) activities within technical subjects, arts and design. The Faculty has approximately 3.000 students and 280 staff members and is situated at Pilestredet Campus in downtown Oslo and at Kjeller Campus in Viken.
The Department of Computer Science offers three bachelor’s degree programmes, a master’s degree programme, and is part of a cross-departmental PhD program. Academic staff at the department are pursuing research in a wide range of areas including computer science, the natural sciences, and innovation and management. Both students and researchers are also involved in an increasing number of interdisciplinary initiatives across the university.
For a permanent position as Head Engineer (in Norwegian: overingeniør) or Senior Engineer in IT operations at the Department of Computer Science, we seek you who would like exciting work tasks, such as testing of new technologies, hardware and software, extensive collaboration with teaching staff and regular contact with students and any external clients. You will also have good opportunities for active participation in research projects and teaching if you wish.
The department is one of five departments under the Faculty of Technology, Art and Design, OsloMet. The department has extensive teaching and research activities, with a strong focus on a combination of high academic quality and industrial relevance. The work will be related to student support and facilitation of the department's core activities through planning, roll-out, maintenance and operation of its digital services. Assignment activities and completion of laboratory exercises as well as supervision of students will be included as main work tasks.
Your work tasks will mainly be
- solution manager for the department's own cloud portfolio (we use OpenStack)
- support students' and employees' use of new technology through the development and maintenance of documentation
- work related to procurement for teaching, student projects and research projects, including assisting with estimation and development of requirements specifications
- maintenance, ensure availability, use and procurement of hardware that falls outside the existing procurement processes
- assist with support for users of the department's own digital services, carry out continuous monitoring and maintenance of the department's own digital services and plan future upgrades or new technological focus areas
- contribute to OsloMet's ongoing digitization process by being a driving force for new technology to be used
- opportunity to participate in teaching (e.g. in programming)
- conduct coordination meetings with relevant professional resources both internally in the department, and with other relevant departments
We are looking for you who have
- minimum bachelor's degree in a relevant subject area (information technology, systems development, computer science/engineering, computer security, or related fields). To be considered employed as a senior engineer, a minimum master's degree is required.
- good knowledge of linux, networking, data security, cloud-based services, DevOps, system planning, documentation, configuration and error handling
- proficiency in English, both orally and in writing. It is an advantage if you also speak Norwegian.
- experience with automation and product development within self-service and cloud services
It is an advantage that you have
- experience from teaching / supervising students
- knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, Rancher, or other container management and orchestration tools
- practical skills in the relevant subject area
- competence in purchasing processes
We are looking for you who
- have the ability to work independently, and also in teams with other engineers and teaching staff
- have the ability to take responsibility for planning and carrying out the required tasks
- have good collaboration and communication skills, and the ability to explain complicated things in a simple way
- are flexible and willing to learn and further develop new skills in line with professional and technological development.
It is important for OsloMet to reflect the population in our region and we welcome all qualified applicants. We work actively to develop further as an inclusive workplace and to facilitate the workplace if you need it. If you have periods in your life where you have not been to work, education or training, you are also welcome to apply with us.
We can offer you
- exciting job at Norway's third largest and most urban university
- opportunities for professional development in a strong professional environment
- a dynamic work environment and active research groups
- loan and pension conditions in the Government Pension Fund
- flexible working hours and good welfare schemes
You must upload certificates and all aspects of diplomas. The documents must be in English or a Scandinavian language. Translations must be authorized. You must present originals at a possible interview. OsloMet conducts control of documents, so that you as a candidate will get a real evaluation and fair competition.
If you want further information about the position, you can contact:
- Head of Department, Laurence Habib, telephone number +47 67 23 86 57, or
- Head of Group, Boning Feng, telephone number +47 67 23 87 14
The position is paid in accordance with the State's salary regulations, 1087 senior engineer, salary range ltr. 53 - 60 (NOK 483 700-543 500 per year), or 1181 senior engineer, salary range ltr. 58 - 65 (NOK 524 900-594 300 per year), depending on competence. For specially qualified applicants, higher salaries can be considered.
Application deadline: 12th October 2021
OsloMet is a Charter & Code certified institution by the EU Commisson holding the right to use the logo HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R). OsloMet is a member of the EURAXESS network supporting a positive work environment for researchers in motion. OsloMet has signed The Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA). DORA recognizes the need to improve the ways in which the outputs of scholarly research are evaluated.