The deadline is extended to 22 August.
The project is funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs through two agreements (2022-23: QZA-21/0344 and 2017/7-2021: QZA-17/0157).
JMIC cooperates with journalism institutes at universities, journalism- and freedom of expression organizations in countries in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Nort Africa (MENA region) for the promotion of freedom of expression and strengthening of independent journalism and media.
The majority of projects are in conflict- or post-conflict countries, or where media and free reporting is under pressure. Sharing of knowledge and experiences between institutions involved in the promotion of free and independent journalism, and strengthening the links between journalists, educational institutions, and researchers, are important parts of JMICs mandate.
The evaluation will cover two periods of funding from MFA, the current work program (2022-23) totaling 10 million Nok and the program implemented between July 2017- and December 2021, with a budget of 19 million NoK.
The main elements in the projects are trainings/courses for journalism students and journalists, conferences or other public events. Main thematic priorities are press-freedom, visual storytelling, safety of journalists, science- and climate reporting and free access to information.
The cooperation includes partners in Uganda, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Palestine, Tunisia/MENA region and a few other countries.
Scope of work
The overall objective of this evaluation is to assess results and progress towards the goals set out in the result frameworks in the agreements with MFA, reflecting selected priorities of the MFA strategy "Freedom of expression" (regjeringen.no).
The aim is to inform JMIC/OsloMet and the donor, MFA, about results, provide learning points for future activities and recommendations which can feed into a current strategy discussion in JMIC.
The evaluation should provide analysis of the relevance and effectiveness and, to the extent possible, the impact of the intervention. One or two case studies of selected long-term partnerships/projects should also include analysis of sustainability and coherence. Furthermore, the evaluation should identify good practices in the cooperation with partners.
The evaluation should be conducted partly as a desk study, supplemented by (online) interviews with key JMIC and partner organization’s resource persons and by one or two field visit(s) to partners for more in-depth data collection. The main responsibility of the Consultant will be to lead the evaluation and write the evaluation report. The evaluation will be guided by OECD DAC evaluation criteria.
The maximum budget amount available for the evaluation is 320,000 NOK ex. VAT. The VAT is 25 %. The total amount is 400 000 NOK incl. VAT. This shall cover salary, travel and other costs. Timeframe: The startup of the work should be early September, the main data collection, interviews and field work conducted in September/October and a final report shared with JMIC by 31. October.
Qualifications and experience
It is required that the Consultant or consultancy team for this assignment possesses the following qualifications and experience:
- Significant experience with conducting evaluations or relevant studies, and preferably experience related to journalism, media and freedom of expression
- Fluent in English
- Excellent reporting skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of international agenda to promote freedom of expression; the role of journalists and media, efforts to promote safety of journalists, free access to information.
Language skills in Arabic, Urdu, Pashto or French would be considered an asset. A team member based in one of JMIC’s partner countries, or established contacts who can be involved in data collection/interviews, will be considered an advantage.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their proposal comprising the following:
- A proposal which indicates understanding of the consultancy requirements (3-5 pages + annexes). You may use the form «vedlegg 3 tilbyder sitt løsningsforslag» for this purpose.
- Methodology and work plan for performing the assignment. This can be included in the form «vedlegg 3 tilbyder sitt løsningsforslag».
- Minimum 3 references (name, position, phone number and e-mail) from similar assignments or relevant studies. Use the form «vedlegg 4 kvalifikasjonskrav» for this purpose.
- CV (relevant experience must be specified)
- Financial proposal with detailed budgeted cost for the work to be conducted by the consultant, inclusive of all applicable taxes and insurances. Use the form «vedlegg 2 prisskjema» for this purpose.
- Examples of previous evaluation reports written by the consultant.
The proposal must include all mandatory documents according to the complete call. If you wish to receive the full ToR, key programme documents, the Tender basis and the form to use, please also use this email contact.