In this course, you will learn to enhance your knowledge of the relationship between aesthetic expressions and children and young people with special needs. You will also work practically with targeting various kinds of special needs when working on different kinds of aesthetic expressions.
This course is designed for all students with an interest in children with special needs and/or aesthetic expressions and work and who studies in fields relevant to the course.
You must have completed at least one year of your undergraduate degree studies at your home institution.
How to apply
International exchange students select courses when applying for exchange.
The application deadline is 1 October.
Aesthetics are important for everybody, also children and young people with special needs. Through literature, storytelling, music and dance we perceive and understand the world and ourselves. Through aesthetics we perform and collaborate with others. Because some children and young people lack verbal language, have problems with emotions, communication and interaction or find it hard to take others perspectives, aesthetic communication becomes extra important.
This course has the following topics:
- special education
- children and young people with special needs
- physical and psychological health
- play, development, identity and relations
- genres, multimodal texts and digital platforms
- verbal language, aesthetic perceptions and expressions
- music, drama, puppet play, storytelling and other performances and aesthetic acts
- aesthetic communication
- cultural sharing
- the sensing body / the body and its surroundings
There will be a wide variety of working methods:
- individual and group papers/performances
- digital blog
- stop animation
- visits and practice in school, kindergarten and other institutions
The 20 ECTS option lasts from mid January to mid April.
The 30 ECTS option lasts from mid January to mid May.
There is no semester fee for exchange students.
Questions about this course?
You can contact us by e-mail if you have questions about this course.