This course is offered as 20 or 30 ECTS, and is an introduction to the main theories of myths, fairy tales and legends in the western culture.
This course is designed to offer a full-time study programme for students at Early Childhood at Social Education and Teachers Education. To apply for this course you must have completed at least two years of your undergraduate degree at your home institution. Interested students from other related academic areas are also welcome to apply.
How to Apply
International exchange students select courses when applying for exchange.
The application deadline is 15 April.
The course is designed to offer a full-time study programme for teacher students from early childhood education to lower secondary school and future social workers. Why do stories appeal to modern children? What is special about narratives like myths, fairy tales and legends? In what way can oral stories contribute to increased knowledge about ourselves? How do they tell stories in a Sami kindergarten? How can trips in the Nordic nature increase the understanding of the creatures in myths and fairy tales?
Important elements in the course are:
- the difference between myths, fairy tales and legends
- structural theories, psychological theories, eclectical theories
- myths and religion, Old Norse mythology
- the student’s own cultural identity
- the uses of fairy tales in education, therapy and social work
- heroes and monsters
- drama and music
- stop motion animation
The course contains several workshops and excursions, for instance:
- visits to museums, schools and kindergartens
- puppet making and performing
- story writing
- radio theatre
- stop-motion animation
- literature studies/theory
- lectures and supervision
- excursions, workshops and seminars
- cultural exchanges/discussions
- reflective journal
For more information about this course, take a look at the course description (student.oslomet.no).
There is no semester fee for exchange students.
Questions about This Course?
You can contact us by e-mail if you have questions about this course.