This course deals with theories, methods and models for constructing, using and evaluating automatic information retrieval systems. This includes input from linguistics, statistics and information theory.
The target groups of this course are master's students of records management or students of library and information science, from our partner institutions.
How to apply
International exchange students select courses when applying for exchange.
Application deadline: 1 October.
- statistically and semantically based methods for document description and retrieval
- automatic classification and categorisation
- search behaviour and how to construct systems for real users
- new methods/mediums/arenas for information retrieval, such as image and multimedia retrieval, retrieval of multilingual material etc.
The course consists of a combination of
This includes presentation of a term paper, made individually or in groups, for discussion.
For more information about this course, take a look at the course description (student.oslomet.no).
There is no semester fee for exchange students.
Exam and assessment
Either a report on a laboratory assignment of an essay on one or more of the course topics, written individually or in small groups must be completed and approved before you can hand in the exam. Each student is assigned an opposition of one of the other students' assignments.
The exam consists of:
- individual written three-day home assignment of approximately 5000 words
Questions about this course?
Contact the administrative coordinator if you have questions about admission requirements and how to apply:
Contact the teacher if you have questions about the content and teaching of this course: