The committee meets approximately once a month. At least once a year, the R&D committee must have a joint meeting with the doctoral committee and the education committee at the faculty.
Functions of the committee
The committee provides advisory support to the faculty leadership and has been delegated decision-making authority in specific matters.
The committee shall contribute to the development of the faculty's research and development and innovation work and ensure that the faculty has a comprehensive R&D and innovation strategy, as well as a socially relevant portfolio of high-quality research environments that reflect the faculty's academic profile and uniqueness.
Among its responsibilities, the committee shall ensure strong connections between R&D and education at all three levels (bachelor's, master's, and PhD) through interactions with the Education Committee and the PhD Committee within the faculty.
The committee makes decisions on matters delegated by the dean and provides advice to the faculty leadership on strategic issues related to R&D development.
It serves as a forum for discussing the political, strategic, academic, and ethical aspects of research, development work, and innovation and evaluates experiences and results.
The committee may also initiate investigations in areas it deems necessary.
Tasks of the committee
The committee has been delegated decision-making authority by the dean to:
- allocate the faculty's strategic resources in the R&D area
- allocate resources for PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers assigned to the faculty from OsloMet's central level
- establish criteria for the establishment, continuation, and modification of research groups
- monitor external evaluations of research groups.
The committee provides advisory support to the faculty leadership on matters concerning the development of the R&D strategy and any underlying strategies (e.g., research dissemination strategy) in line with the faculty's strategy.
It also contributes to creating favourable conditions for research and development work, including:
- criteria for allocating R&D time
- criteria for research sabbaticals
- procedures for ensuring research integrity and privacy
- criteria for strategic R&D initiatives
- annual plans and budget measures related to R&D activities
- consultation statements within the committee's responsibilities.
Mandate and composition
The mandate and composition of the Research and Development (R&D) Committee of the Faculty of Health Sciences (HV) were established by the dean on 30 August 2021.
The mandate was discussed by the R&D Committee of the faculty on 20 May 2021 and came into effect on 1 August 2021.
The committee should have the necessary research strategic and research policy competence.
At the same time, the committee should have a holistic view of the faculty's R&D activities and knowledge of overarching R&D work at OsloMet.
The R&D Committee should have the following composition:
- vice-dean for R&D (Chair)
- four representatives from the faculty's academic staff
- one representative from temporary academic staff in recruitment positions (PhD candidates and postdocs)
- one student representative
- two external representatives
- one representative from another faculty.
The committee as a whole should:
- represent various research fields
- have experience with internal/external research committees
- have experience in research leadership
- promote diversity (junior/senior academic staff, gender, etc.).
All members of the R&D Committee should have personal alternates. The R&D Committee selects a vice-chair who serves as the committee's deputy chair.
Appointment and election of representatives
- The dean appoints the external representative (the vice-dean for R&D proposes).
- The dean appoints academic staff representatives (the vice-dean for R&D and the department heads propose).
- The dean appoints temporary academic staff for two years at a time (the vice-dean for R&D and the PhD Forum propose).
- Student representatives are elected for one year at a time by the Student Faculty Council.
- Academic staff representatives and external representatives can be appointed for a maximum of two consecutive terms.
Term and meeting implementation
The committee's term runs from 1 August 2021 to 31 July 2025.
Except for student representatives and temporary academic staff, members are appointed for the same period.
If members resign during the term, the dean will replace them in accordance to the committee's composition.
The committee meets regularly, approximately once a month, and typically does not vote on issues.
In case of votes, each member has one vote when the committee has decision-making authority delegated by the dean. In the event of a tie, the committee chair has a casting vote.
At least once a year, the committee holds a joint meeting with the PhD Committee (DGU-HV) and the Education Committee (UU-HV).
The secretarial function is handled by the R&D section at the faculty.