A project to strengthen research capacity and capabilities in institutions in Malawi and Tanzania.
The overall objective is to strengthen research capacity and capabilities in institutions in Malawi and Tanzania to carry out impactful research that leads to positive policy/practice change for sustainable management of fragile ecosystems, vulnerable to climate change and local anthropogenic activities and to ensure that this capacity is propagated even after the project.
- Strengthen research technical and management skills for sustained and propagated research capacity within partner institutions after the end of the project.
- Develop and implement north-south and south-south collaborative research and education programmes that advance knowledge and identify solutions to threats of security of water resources and ecosystem services in partner countries.
- Produce a cadre of early career researchers (ECRs) that are capable of leading and shaping the direction of future research in this field.
- Ensure impactful research that influences policy and practice through engagement with stakeholders and policy makers at regional, national and local levels.
- Generate scientific knowledge of the state of environment and the expected impacts of climate change and local anthropogenic activities on hydro-biogeochemical processes governing the amount and quality of water resources in fragile ecosystems and the associated socio-economic consequences in Malawi and Tanzania.