The objective of the course is to enable the candidates to understand and produce Norwegian in some common social contexts, as well as having knowledge of Norwegian culture.
The Crash course can be given if admission is granted to 15 students or more, otherwise it will be given as a beginner's level course.
International exchange students, who are admitted to the study programmes at Oslo Metropolitan University (OsloMet) for the current term, will be given priority over other applicants. Other categories of international students who currently follow study programmes at OsloMet, may be admitted to the course provided that there will be available places. Trainees through the ‘Akademisk dugnad’ at OsloMet must be approved by the Section for Internationalisation and must meet the general admission requirements for Higher Education Entrance Qualification (GSK).
The following categories will not be able to apply for the course:
- Applicants with equivalent or higher language competence
- Other categories of applicants, who are not international students at OsloMet
- Students with ordinary admission to OsloMet
- Erasmus+ students and trainees.
- Exchange students from other exchange programmes.
- Trainees through the ‘Akademisk dugnad’ at OsloMet and have been recommended by the Section for Internationalisation.
- Master’s degree programme students.
Applicants in each category will be ranked according to drawing of lots principle.
Recommended or required preliminary courses
None. No previous knowledge of Norwegian is required.
How to apply
- The application deadline for courses in the spring semester is 15 January.
- The application deadline for courses in the autumn semester is 15 August.
You have to fulfill your semester registration first in order to be able to apply for the course. Please contact your faculty if you have any problems with your semester registration.
You register via Søknadsweb (fsweb.no):
- Choose: Log in or register using Feide.
- Fill in your user name and password (the same user name and password as you use to log in FRONTER or Webmail at OsloMet) and press Login.
- Fill in your personal information, and press Next.
- (New application): In the menu below choose: Norwegian courses for international students. Please press (Select) next to Study Course - Faculty of Education and International Studies to open the whole menu.
- Press the arrow to open the menu under “Choose application alternative”. Then choose 3446 Crash Course in Norwegian Language and Culture, and press Next then save.
You will receive the result of admission in the last week of January for the Spring semester and in the last week of August for the Autumn semester.
This will be published at the application portal "Søknadsweb" and you will be notified by e-mail.
The objective of the course is to enable the candidates to understand and produce Norwegian in some common social contexts, as well as having knowledge of Norwegian culture. By the end of the course the candidates should be able to:
- understand some basic concepts of Norwegian grammar;
- have some knowledge about Norwegian culture, traditions, society and language history;
- read and understand short, simple dialogues in Norwegian by recognizing familiar words and basic phrases;
- produce and ask and answer basic questions about topics covered in the course;
- pronounce a repertoire of learnt words and phrases in a way that can be understood with some effort by native speakers;
- understand and use common expressions and basic Norwegian phrases;
- introduce themselves and others;
- read and understand common signs;
- be able to use basic Norwegian in many common situations in everyday life such as shopping, transport and social interaction with other students;
- ask and answer questions in Norwegian about personal details such as where they live, people they know and activities they like.
- The main teaching method will be oral activities in groups and pairs, including roleplaying and games.
- Students are expected to participate actively in these activities to learn basic Norwegian phrases, pronunciation and dialogues.
- There will also be some grammar instruction and exercises, mainly to support the acquisition of listening and speaking skills.
Classes and exam dates
You will find classes and exam dates when this is ready on Timeplan på nett (tp.educloud.no). Type course id NOLA6000. Remember to use right semester in the drop-down menu.
For more information about this course, take a look at the course description (student.oslomet.no).
There is no semester fee for exchange students.
Questions about this course?
You can contact us by e-mail if you have questions about this course.