This course provides core insights and competencies in sustainability and place-based education from early childhood to lower secondary education.
This course is designed for students from institutions of early childhood to primary and lower secondary teacher education institutions. Students from other relevant educational areas may also be considered for admission.
- Students must have completed at least one year of undergraduate degree studies at their home institution (for international students).
- Students from other relevant academic areas may also be accepted.
- Students from OsloMet may take this course in their third year of their teacher studies.
- Students must bring a valid police clearance form to Oslo in order to visit schools and kindergartens.
How to apply
International exchange students select courses when applying for exchange.
The application deadline is 1 October.
This course aims to give you:
- Selected topics and concepts within humanities, social and natural sciences, aesthetics and technology in sustainability
- Place-based pedagogy in schools and kindergartens
- Pedagogical, critical and ethical thinking and system understanding in education for sustainability
- Problem-based interdisciplinary teaching, including extended classroom and outdoor education
- Senses, body and place in approaches to teaching and learning
This is a full-time study-program that builds on principles from outdoor and extended classroom place-based education as well as lectures across different subject areas.
In addition to exploring urban and natural environments, the course will involve lectures, seminars, student presentations, and discussions. This requires active student participation. The students must be prepared to participate in various outdoor activities and be equipped for all weather conditions.
The course will give opportunities to interact with students from different national backgrounds, and the possibility to explore Nordic Education approaches. The students are expected to share aspects of didactic concepts and sustainability dilemmas from their own countries.
An integrated part of the course will be a placement or visits in schools or kindergartens in the Oslo area.
For more information about this course, take a look at the course description (student.oslomet.no).
There is no semester fee for exchange students.
Questions about this course?
You can contact us by e-mail if you have questions about this course.