The objective of the project is to increase the knowledge about the oldest workers and their experiences, as well as how companies handle work exit and the change in mandatory retirement age.
Policies encouraging extending working life are a major feature of public policies across all OECD countries. One measure is to increase the mandatory retirement age, which the Norwegian government recently did – the change in mandatory retirement age (from 70 to 72) came into effect July 1st 2015.
The reform was controversial, and opinions regarding the consequences, for both companies and older workers, were manifold, and mostly based on assumptions. As the increase in mandatory retirement age represents a substantial labour market reform, there is an urgent need for knowledge about the implications. This includes both positive and negative, as well as both intended and unintended, consequences of the change.
The objective of the ExitAge project is to increase the knowledge about the oldest workers and their experiences, as well as how companies handle work exit and the change in mandatory retirement age. Such knowledge is essential for companies, in order to acquire competence about how to relate to the challenges and possibilities increased retirement age and an older workforce may bring about, and also for policy makers, who are planning to increase the mandatory retirement age further.
Participants at OsloMet
- Work Research Institute - AFI
- Senter for seniorpolitikk - SSP
- Arbeids- og velferdsdirektoratet - NAV
- Solem, P.E., Solomon, R.H. & Terjesen, H.C.A. (2020). Does a raised mandatory retirement age influence managers’ attitudes to older workers? Nordic Welfare Research (idunn.no).
- Hellevik, T. & Herlofson, K. (2020). 67+ and still working. The importance of earlier job situation and retirement plans for extended careers. Nordic Welfare Research (idunn.no).
- Frøyland, K. & Terjesen, H.C.A. (2020). Workplace Perceptions of Older Workers and Implications for Job Retention. Nordic Journal of Working Life Studies (tidsskrift.dk).
- Solem, P. (2020). The affective component of ageism needs attention. International Journal of Manpower (emerald.com).
- Herlofson, K., Hellevik, T., Frøyland, K., Salomon, R.H., Terjesen, H.C.A. og Solem, P.E. (2020). Hevet aldersgrense i arbeidslivet - problemer eller nye muligheter? NOVA-rapport 6/20 (fagarkivet.oslomet.no).
- Herlofson, Katharina; Hellevik, Tale (2019). Eldre i arbeidslivet – slitenhet og yrkesavgang. Søkelys på arbeidslivet (idunn.no).