This project empirically and theoretically explores how increasing levels of diversity in the personnel of Nordic security forces (military, police and security organizations) relate to changing perceptions of trust and security, both within these organizations and in their broader interactions with society.
The project combines empirical studies of four Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland), analysing a range of interconnected phenomena, from the organization of everyday practices within security forces and their interactions with various target groups, to perceptions of diversity and security work within the forces as well as within related policy- and decision-making processes.
The research team has a broad representation in the Nordic countries and a strong multi-disciplinary profile. The project will be based on a mixed methods-approach with an emphasis on qualitative sociological methods combined with political and historical studies.
Data collection will primarily be conducted through qualitative interviews, participant observations, and archival studies including document analysis.
- Ellingsen, Dag og Lilleaas, Ulla-Britt. 2020. Ekskluderende maskulinitetskulturer i en mannsbastion – belyst gjennom et norsk politidistrikt. Søkelys på arbeidslivet 04 / 2020 (Volum 37).
- Ellingsen, Dag & Ulla-Britt Lilleaas 2020. “Barske menn og tafatte ledere – Om uheldige kulturer i Vest Politidistrikt.” Opinion piece in Politiforum, January 30th 2020. [“Tough men and indolent leaders – On problematic cultures in the Western Police District.“]
- Lilleaas, Ulla-Britt; Dag Ellingsen & Beate Sløk-Andersen 2020. “Humorens tvetydige funksjon. Hva kjennetegner humor som kan fungere ekskluderende i tradisjonelle mannsbastioner?” Tidsskrift for kjønnsforskning 44 (1): 8-22. [“The Double Function of Humor. The Characteristics of an Excluding Humor in Traditional Male Bastions.”]
- Persson, Alma & Fia Sundevall 2019. ”Conscripting Women: Gender, Soldiering and Military Service in Sweden 1965–2018” Women’s History Review, 28 (7): 1039-1056.
- Sløk-Andersen, Beate 2019. “The Butt of the Joke? Laughter and Potency in the Becoming of Good Soldiers” Cultural Analysis 17(1): 25-56.
- Sløk-Andersen, Beate 2019. “Forsker: Gør som Norge og Sverige og indfør kønsneutral værnepligt.” Opinion piece in Altinget.dk, October 10th 2019. [“Researcher: Follow Norway and Sweden and introduce gender neutral conscription.”]