This master's degree provides you with the qualifications needed for international work in the education sector in the Global South and for work on international development issues in public, multilateral and voluntary organisations.
When you apply for this degree, you choose between one of two specialisations with somewhat different requirements. For both specialisations you need:
- an average grade of at least C (according to the ECTS grading scale) on your bachelor's degree
- proof of your English proficiency
International Education in the Global South
To apply for the specialisation in International Education in the Global South you need either
- a bachelor’s degree in education: either in early childhood education, preschool, primary / elementary school, secondary school, higher education, pedagogy, or equivalent
- or a bachelor’s degree in development studies or other relevant social science disciplines with 60 ECTS credits (one full academic year) specialisation in educational sciences
To apply for the specialisation in Development Studies you need either
- a bachelor’s degree in development studies or other relevant social science disciplines
- or a bachelor’s degree in education: either in early childhood education, preschool, primary / elementary school, secondary school, higher education, pedagogy, or equivalent; with at least 60 ECTS credits in development studies or other relevant social science disciplines
Other relevant social science disciplines include social geography, sociology, social anthropology, political science, social economics, history and area studies that cover developing regions or other development-related areas.
The only cost of this programme is the semester fee (student.oslomet.no) of approximately 1000 NOK. You pay this fee each semester of the programme. There are no tuition fees.
How to apply
You apply via Søknadsweb (fsweb.no), where you fill in your details and upload all the required documents.
More information about admission to the international master's degree programmes.
There are different application deadlines based on which country you apply from:
- 15 December: for applicants from countries outside of the European Union / the European Economic Area (EEA) / Switzerland
- 1 March: early admission for applicants from the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- 15 April: ordinary admission for applicants from the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
This degree gives you knowledge and insight into different social and pedagogical perspectives applied to international education issues and social conditions in the South. It consists of five courses, some of which are common to all students and others that allow for specialisation and in-depth studies.
How the programme is taught
This programme is organised as a two-year full-time study.
You will have a variation of
- discussions in large or small groups
- writing essays/scholarly articles
- writing your master’s theses
All classes are taught in English and you write your thesis in English as well.
Programme structureOptional course Spans multiple semesters
1st year of study
International Education in the Global South
In addition to the international academic environment throughout the programme, we encourage you to conduct fieldwork in the Global South. You may also combine your fieldwork with a study exchange stay at a university abroad.
This degree gives you the possibility to get a job within a number of different fields, and as a student, you will develop specific professional and general competences that employers seek.
With this degree, you are able to apply to relevant PhD programmes, among others the PhD programme in educational science at OsloMet.
The programme provides the basis for work with:
- Research, education and assessment activities
- Multicultural educational questions and work with multicultural education in schools, training activities and skills development in both the private and public sector
- Public and private administration, organisation and leadership
- Education and development in the global South and in the NGO sector
Further studies at OsloMet
Questions about studying at OsloMet
You can contact us by e-mail with any questions about studying at OsloMet, applying and life as a student.
If you have specific questions about the degree you can contact the faculty directly.