According to the World Health Organization, around 15 percent of the population lives with some form of disability. Individuals with disabilities and their families may face many of the same challenges such as stereotypical attitudes, poor facilitation or provision of services and insufficient benefits.
Research on how such challenges affect the opportunities for educational, occupational and social participation among individuals with disabilities and their families are key topics at the research institute NOVA.
The network for disability research brings together knowledge across institutes, research groups and disciplines and counts members from NOVA and other parts of OsloMet.
The network members meet approximately once a month. Our ambition is to invite external and internal researchers to present their research during lunch-seminars to discuss work in progress, paper drafts and research proposals.
- Consequences of the Pandemic for Living Conditions and Equality
- European Labour Market Under Pressure – New Knowledge on Pathways to Include Persons in Vulnerable Situations (Paths2Include)
- HIRE? A Mixed-method Examination of Disability and Employers Inclusive Working Life Practices
- Direct and Indirect Costs of Disabilities in Children (BUDGET)
- Socio-spatial Inequality among Families with Children with Disabilities who are Entitled to Cash Benefits and Welfare Services (UPTAKE)
- Social and Digital Participation: School and the Internet as an Integration Arena for Children and Young People with Physical Disabilities
- Caring for Children with Disabilities
- Making Persons with Disabilities Full Citizens (DISCIT)
Bøhler, K.K., Bossy, D. & Hervie, V.M. (2022). How Did Children With Disabilities Experience Education and Social Welfare During Covid-19?. Social Inclusion (cogitatiopress.com)
Wondemu, M.Y., Joranger, P., Hermansen, Å., Brekke, I. (2022). Impact of child disability on parental employment and labour income: a quasi-experimental study of parents of children with disabilities in Norway. BMC Public Health (bmcpublichealth.com)
Bjørnshagen, V. (2022). Do Large Employers Discriminate Less? An Exploration of Company Size Variation in Disability Discrimination Based on Data from two Field Experiments. Work and Occupations (journals.sagepub.com)
Østerud, K., & Vedeler, J. (2022). Disability and Regulatory Approaches to Employer Engagement: Cross-National Challenges in Bridging the Gap between Motivation and Hiring Practice. Social Policy and Society (cambridge.org)
Bjørnshagen, V. (2022). Unequal Access. Detecting Disability Discrimination. PhD Thesis. University of Oslo
Bjørnshagen, V. og Ugreninov, E. (2021). Disability Disadvantage: Experimental Evidence of Hiring Discrimination against Wheelchair Users. European Sociological Review (academic.oup.com)
Finnvold, J.E. (2021). Integrating Students with Disabilities in Schools. Lessons from Norway. Palgreve Pivot
Sherry, M.; Olsen, T.; Vedeler, J.S. & Eriksen, J. (2019). Disability Hate Speech. Social, Cultural and Political Contexts. Routledge (routledge.com)
See more publications at the researchers' employee pages.